Starting in iOS 11 drivers can enable the iPhone ‘Do not disturb while driving’ feature which compliments LifeSaver and provides a lock screen "outside" the iPhone passcode lock. This feature also provides an initial ‘stop’ to deter drivers from texting and driving. However, if the driver clicks the iPhone DND while driving button "I’m not driving" to unlock the iPhone, this is where LifeSaver will kick in to monitor and score the driver.
The iPhone DND while driving feature is complimentary to LifeSaver. It adds the the following value:
- A block – (although only outside the passcode lock screen, and driver can start drive on the iPhone home screen disabling the feature).
- Silencing – Apple does a great job capturing inbound texts and notification so they won’t bother you while driving. Note this may not be desired in all fleet scenarios where Siri can be used “Hey Siri, Read my texts” to get audio texts inbound.
- Auto Reply – Another good feature where you can auto reply “I’m driving” to contacts.
Note DND while driving is easily gamed and does not monitor usage or report back to fleet managers as LifeSaver does. With LifeSaver you get:
- Deterring banner when drivers attempt to use their phone "inside" the passcode lock screen.
- Detection of driver behavior "inside" the Passcode Lock screen.
- Scoring and reporting back to your Fleet Portal.